Thursday, July 19, 2012

Outdoor Afro Recon


Today I did a little recon for a hike for my friends at Outdoor Afro.  Taz, my dog, and I went out to New Hope Overlook, an area in the Jordan Lake State Recreation area.  I wanted to see if the hike was a good one for an Outdoor Afro event.  It was a little cooler than usual for this summer (low 90s) with a little breeze.

We started down the trail, which was well marked and quite soft, due to the pine needle groundcover. Taz trotted eagerly along, trying to lead the way. I'm sure she was happy just to be outside. It has been so hot lately, that her outside time has been considerably shortened.




TAZ Leading the way.

Taz Decided to lead the way for a bit. She was very good about staying on the trail, even though I'm sure she paid no attention to the blazes.



Trail Blazes
 Once we reached the Overlook, Taz decided to go for a run down the beach, and then a swim. It was a  refreshing way to break the heat.


Running down the beach.

Refreshing dip

AHHH Nice and cool!









The trail was quite easy and relaxing. Almost a meditation. The breeze was soft, I could smell the lake and hear the little critters running throught the woods.  The only negative to the day was that the trail was obviously not recently used and I broke a TON of spider webs with my face, before I finally smartened up and picked up a stick to break trail.

All in all, however, I think that we both agree that this is an excellent trail for a future Outdoor Afro Hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment